Saturday, November 10, 2007

Walt Mossberg on History

Today at Cyberposium 13, Harvard Business School's annual tech conference, I had the completely delighting experience of meeting Walt Mossberg, eminent Wall Street Journal personal technology columnist, in person.

Walt Mossberg himself! Photo from his All Things Digital website.

Right before his keynote, my new MIT friends and I sidled up to the front of the auditorium, hoping for photos. Walt Mossberg was very accommodating, even waiting for my interminably slow flash to go off. For three separate photographs.

After we were finished documenting our brush with celebrity, Walt asked each of us where we went to school, and when I told him I went to Harvard, he asked what I studied here. "Um...actually history," I said, probably blushing a little bit. This was a technology conference after all—you know, like the future. Like not the past. Walt just looked at me and said "What do you mean, 'actually history?' History is, like, wicked important!" He pulled off the slang with just a little bit of sassiness. It was confronting and charming at the same time. Thanks to him, I will never apologize for history again. And will have an awesome story to tell. For the rest of my life.

1 comment:

Welton said...

Awww that's a cute story...glad you enjoyd the conference!